Android and fragmentation

I’ve been a pretty big fan of Android for a long time now. Having an open-source mobile operating system that different OEMs can experiment with and customize to their liking has been a huge boon to the tech world and has ensured that Apple (AAPL) won’t have a monopoly on popular smartphones anytime soon. But as Google (GOOG) has refined its operating system over the years and added some great new features, it’s become increasingly hard for me to ignore the fragmentation aspect especially in a country like Kenya and Africa in general, where the OS is gaining ground with low entry level phones.
The issue of fragmentation rears its head many at times I think of getting myself a functional low end android phone that will give all the features that could be found in the latest stock such as 4.2. When will be able to enjoy Android without fragmentation? You tell me how many low end phone users will rejoice to this, I don’t mean to say other platforms are not fragmented.

Comments

Popular Posts